Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Spaceman

So Heather was super sweet and nice and bought me the new Killers album last week, and I've been listening to it while I work and in my car while I drive. There's this song that I REALLY like on the album but I have no clue what it really means. So I was going to ask the infinite abyss of the interweb for help. I don't want anyone trying to tell me it is about him getting abducted by aliens either. Cause I'm not buying into any of that silly non sense. I'm especially interested in the chorus which is intriguing to me. If your interested in hearing the album just email me.



It started with a low light
Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type
It left a strange impression in my head
You know that I was hoping
That I could leave this starcrossed world behind
But when they cut me open
I guess I changed my mind
And you know I might
Have just flown too far from the floor this time
Cause they calling me by my name
And the zipping white light beams
Disregarding the bombs and satellites

That was the turning point
That was one lonely night

The starmaker says it ain't so bad
The dreammaker's gonna make you mad
The spaceman says everybody look down!
It's all in your mind


Now I'm back at home and
I’m looking forward to this life I live
You know it's going to harm me
So hesitation to this life I give
You think you might cross over
You're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea
You better look it over
Before you make that leap

And you know I'm fine, but I hear those voices at night
Sometimes, they justify my claim
And the public don’t dwell on my transmission
Cause It wasn’t televised

But it was the turning point
O what a lonely night

The starmaker says it ain't so bad
The dreammaker's gonna make you mad
The spaceman says everybody look down!
It's all in your mind

The starmaker says it ain't so bad
The dreammakers's gonna make you mad
The spaceman says everybody look down!
It's all in your mind

My global position systems are vocally addressed
They said the nile used to run from east to west
They said the nile used to run… from east to west

And you know I'm fine,
but I hear those voices at night
Sometimes...

The starmaker says it ain't so bad
The dreammaker's gonna make you mad
The spaceman says everybody look down!
It's all in your mind

The starmaker says it ain't so bad
The dreammaker's gonna make you mad
The spaceman says everybody look down!
It's all in your mind

**MY THOUGHTS**
I think he is talking about something that happened to him in his life, something where he was he made a decision to change his life. Then he makes mention to how sometimes he is tempted to go back to his old ways, and aren't we all. Maybe that's why I enjoy this song so much. I can remember when my father passed away it was a turning point in my life, and it changed me. Infact the day of his death I could describe it as an alien abduction as well. I think the Starmaker is like God telling you it ain't so bad, and the dreammaker is gonna make you mad cause in most cases dreams don't ever come true, at least not how you dreamt them to be, and the spaceman is like the natural man trying to deceive you, telling you it's all in your mind.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry Shane...it sounds to me like aliens. You had an nice thought though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool song- I like the Killers although I'm not a huge fan of the line "are we human or are we dancer" Weird. But I'll have to give the other songs on the album a listen. I'm glad you like weird movies too! Let me know if you ever see Kabluey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think i mostly agree with you assessment of the song. I would say that he is presenting three types of people. The Spaceman recognizing a those absent of faith in anything outside of themselves and their purposes. It is this group that at some point in his life he was lead away with (hence the first verse). Then it seems that he returns "home" or corrects the wrongs in his life. The starmaker seems to me to be the people in the music industry. It minimized the mistakes he made and made them seem as no big deal. The dreammaker to me seems as those who believe in something more. With a belief comes a sense of responsibility and guilt. The other two groups would point to this is a wrong and a reason to be "mad". The turning point he mentions seems to be that place in his life you mentioned where he left all of that behind him. I would really like to know what that something was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your thinking Adam. That is starting to make more sense. I would also like to know what that something was that was his turning point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the song is about the alienation of being famous and the tension BF feels about wanting to be famous.

    He talks about how fame crept up on him - the low light at first and the invasiveness of fame like being probed as if an alien for examination. He's not in control of things anymore - people are clawing and pulling him. Nothing is private - "they took my blood type."

    The starcrossed world is the world of fame and he wonders if he should leave it behind - but he's also drawn too it - he changed his mind but might have flown too far from the floor (is he letting fame go to his head he wonders).

    The line about "they're calling me by name" and the "zipping white light beams" are about the paparazzi.

    The turning point is when it all started to overwhelm him and how lonely fame seems.

    He hesitates about being famous "I'm looking forward to this life I live, you know it's going to harm me, so hesitation to this life I give." Then he warns others in search of fame about crossing over to it. "You better look it over before you make that leap."

    His handlers (managers, agents - the starmakers and dreammakers) tell him it's all good, not to worry - and they piss him off as if they aren't listening to his concerns. He's the spaceman and he thinks the height of fame is dangerous.

    And to boot, he can't get his bearings - his GPS tells him weird stuff - sensless stuff - and he's afraid of loosing balance - everybody look down to keep your bearing.

    In the end, maybe his worries are all in his mind, but he still feels like an alien spaceman who likes it up there, but is worried about it nonetheless.

    Also, worth noting - Brandon is a Mormon - and this is not made up - Mormons believe that God is from outer space - and that there are space children, etc. A coincidence, maybe:

    What Mormon's Believe

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share any comments or questions, however, I do reserve the right to delete off-topic, inflammatory, or anonymous comments.

Also if you try spamming my comments you will DEFINITELY be deleted as soon as I see it.